Tuesday, October 28, 2008

SNL & Sarah Palin – Who would’ve thought?


Here I am on SNL!! Thanks NBC for the video.


October 18, 2008

After much pleading from SNL as well as John’s advisors I decided to make my appearance on the show. I was really excited to meet Tina Fey because despite some odd jokes about me I have always been a fan of hers. Her movie Mean Girls? Totally helped me understand my oldest, Bristol and hopefully it will help with both Willow and Piper!

Anyway…I met the whole cast plus Tina Fey. They were all really nice to me and seemed to be genuinely funny people. None of them cracked jokes from previous skits which I was grateful for. I think that they definitely do the skits but then are completely normal just like any other celebrity. We had a run through earlier this afternoon and I think that my parts are pretty funny. I think fans of SNL will be impressed with my comedic acting chops!


Opening act

Standing there with Lorne was funny because usually I’m at home or on the campaign trail watching them. This time I was prepared for the jabs Tina was going to use unlike the other times when I felt as if I was blindsided and did not appreciate it. This time I found them funnier but still found her impersonation off, which I was allowed to illustrate through my comments while standing with Lorne and Mark Wahlberg. I loved when Alec Baldwin came into the scene pretending I was Tina and complaining about me! I thought the audience would enjoy that little twist because I know when reading the initial script I thought that would be a nice touch to it and it played out very well! Watching Tina on the screen, nearly in person…it was uncanny how the make-up department highlighted our similarities just by changing her hair and glasses. However, my absolute favorite moment of the night was when Tina had to excuse herself and we went past each other. You can see the height difference that Tina talked about on David Letterman on Friday but its hilarious (especially when viewing after taping) how Tina does not look at me…but I do kind of smirk at her. It was an honor to be able to say “LIVE FROM NEW YORK….IT’S SATURDAY NIGHT!”. After years of watching the show it was simply thrilling to be able to do this. I love having this opportunity of being on the campaign trail for the Republican Party, I get all of these perks such as going to SNL, throwing the ceremonial first puck to a few NHL hockey games and getting an incredible wardrobe, it’s quite the life!


Rap

I’m Jermiah Wright cause tonight I’m the preacha
I got a bookish look and you’re all hot for teacha
Todd lookin’ fine on his snow machine
so hot boy gonna need a go between
in Wasilla we just chill baby chilla
but when I see oil lets drill baby drill - SNL


I truly loved the rap. I thought it was a good way to wrap up my stint on SNL for the night. I did not think I could even dare trying to make it through the rap with a straight face, only Amy Poheler would be able to pull it off. And she did, I had a ball bouncing along to the rap along with the anchor. It was even better that Todd had a special appearance dancing along and pointing to Alaska. The moose was a little much but it summed up my message of just being a regular Alaskan! I hope that it got people talking, which I’m sure it did because no one truly believed I was actually going to do something like this. People seem to think being one of the first women with potential of ending up in the White House that I am more fragile than the men running, which simply is not true. I have been able to see that an impersonation of me and cracks about me simply put me on an equal playing field, I was just lucky to be able to enjoy it instead of taking it the wrong way.


Wrap-up

Overall, being on SNL was both an honor and privilege for me. I had grown up watching it up in Alaska, always dreaming maybe one day I could make an appearance. I had no idea it would happen in the circumstances that it did – i.e. Tina Fey doing an impersonation of me as the Republic vice-presidential candidate. People have mentioned how our looks are similar but I had no idea how much. I was blessed to have this chance and will frame that photo of Tina and me together with both our autographs because win or lose this has been the ride of a lifetime. Two weeks are left and I am going to show America the maverick that I am. Don’t forget vote for John McCain and me, Sarah Palin! Do it! :)

No comments: