Sunday, October 5, 2008

Blog Response 3

10/07/2008 – This week I decided to check out Poynter Online. I found an article that made me wonder why it would be published but after reading the excerpt and clicking on the link I found the article entertaining and interesting. I clicked on a blog entry entitled “Chip on Your Shoulder” which went on to explain another entry from someone else entitled "Diagramming Sarah: Can Palin's sentences stand up to a grammarian?". The article diagrams some of Sarah Palin’s most confusing comments in her interviews with Charlie Gibson, Sean Hannity and Katie Couric that have led to a drop in her approval ratings. According to the author many people believe diagramming sentences “diagramming a sentence provides insight into the mind of its perpetrator” (slate.com). I found this interesting because I already knew many of Palin’s comments during these interviews have been utterly ridiculous but seeing it from the grammar perspective made all the more of an impact. If someone who prides themselves on being able to dissect sentences to give insight into whoever is speaking cannot translate them, then you know what Palin is saying does not make any sense at all, it worries me that she could potentially be the vice president of the United States. I also found it entertaining because it showed pictures of the diagrammed sentences, showing how absurd her comments are. It also proves to me that almost anything can be written on a blog and read!

No comments: