Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Quinnipiac Student attends RNC

Since 2000, Quinnipiac University has been sending students to the Democratic and Republican conventions through a program called The Washington Seminar. This year, thirteen students went to the Democratic Convention in Denver, Colorado and three went to the Republican Convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Sophomore and President of QU Republicans Katelyn Bermudez was one of the lucky few who attended and worked for the Republican National Convention missing the first two week of school. Bermudez attended political seminars and interned for Fox News.

“The experience was unbelievable,” said Bermudez. “Most people do not receive the opportunity to attend a convention, I feel honored to be a part of history and probably a once in a lifetime experience.”

Her favorite part of attending the Republican National Convention was whenever she worked in the primetime green room and the last night of the convention while her worst was waking up in the morning after two eighteen hour shifts in a row.

Despite the long hours and hard work the experience reaped many learning opportunities for Bermudez.

“I learned so much,” said Bermudez. “I learned about the effort, work and security that go into running a national political convention. Working for a national news company like Fox, I was constantly learning new things.”
She also learned a lot about herself through the two week experience.

“I learned that I can work long hours but still enjoy it if I’m passionate,” said Bermudez. “I also realized how much I am capable of accomplishing in life.”
After missing two weeks of classes, being back at Quinnipiac and catching up on the work is not all that easy.

“It has been very challenging,” said Bermudez. “Most of my teachers have been very understanding.”

Even with the catch up work Bermudez is still glad she decided to take The Washington Seminar course. It allowed her not only to attend the conference but to do something that involved her major in the real world.

“I would do it all over again in a heartbeat,” she said.

No comments: