Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Blog Response 1

I looked at Interactive Narratives again and found an entry titled “Bridge Tracker: Check the Bridge You Cross – Bridge Inspections”. Clicking on that entry leads you to an msnbc.com website that has a map that when typing in a driving route and after clicking entering it shows the route you would go and shows that you will encounter on your trip and when was the last time it was inspected and how it was ranked from that inspection. It is interesting because I know that the past couple years there have been many issues with bridges collapsing and bridge inspections. At first I looked up a route that I can vividly see a bridge, however it did not work because they said there was not enough traffic for it to be recorded. Then I tried the route from Quinnipiac to my house in New Hampshire and there were hundreds of little icons. Most of the bridges were said not to have been inspected for a while and those that had been inspected were not in great shape. It is alarming but I think this was a good thing to point out as interactive because you can find essentially any bridge in the United States, which is good but at the same time worrisome since none of the bridges seem to be in great shape. I like the concept and think that it is good since MSNBC is a national station and not a local station. Overall, it is a good interactive link and a good choice to have for Interactive Narratives.

No comments: